Serves: 6 (makes 6 skewers)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes (+2 hours standing time)
Chicken and Chorizo skewers
50ml of olive oil
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 bunch fresh oregano, finely chopped
3 free-range chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
150g of chorizo, sliced into 2cm chunks
2 green peppers, cut into 2cm pieces
18 cherry tomatoes
Flatbread (makes 8)
600g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
100ml olive oil, plus extra for proving
1/2 tbsp salt
1 x 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
120ml olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 bunch of parsley, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 small red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 small courgettes (yellow and green)
2 large fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
300g asparagus, trimmed
300g tenderstem broccoli, trimmed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- Season the olive oil in a bowl and whisk together with the garlic and fresh oregano. Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To make the flatbreads, sift the flour into a large bowl with the salt and yeast. Make a well in the middle, add the olive oil and 350ml of water and knead to a rough dough. Remove the dough from the bowl onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 mins until smooth and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover. Leave to double in size for about an hour.
- To make the chimichurri sauce, mix together all the ingredients and allow to sit for an hour to release all the flavours.
- After an hour, knock back the flatbread dough and divide into 8 balls. Roll each out on a floured work surface until a few millimetres thick.
- Heat a dry frying pan on a medium high heat and cook the dough for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden underneath and large bubbles start forming. Flip and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until lightly golden. Keep the flatbreads warm in a low oven or on the BBQ wrapped in foil.
- Thread the marinated chicken, chorizo, peppers and cherry tomatoes onto 6 large wooden skewers. Grill the skewers for 8 to 10 minutes, turning every few minutes until the chicken is cooked through and nicely charred.
- While the chicken skewers are grilling, grill the vegetables for 8 to 10 minutes or until charred on all sides.
- Meanwhile, make dressing for the charred vegetables. In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Once the chicken and vegetables are cooked, remove from the BBQ. Add the charred vegetables to a bowl and toss in the dressing.
Serve the skewers drizzled with chimichurri sauce. with the flatbreads and vegetables.